Oh hi there. We’re talking about shopping again.
I’m obsessed. I know.
But there are too many awesome goodies out this month or about to be released that you *must* know about. And this doesn’t even have anything to do with early holiday shopping either… just ya know, shopping to celebrate of the eleventh month of the year.
Here are the items I think you should be checking out:
1. Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal: A gorgeous hardcover book that chronicles much of the work of Jim Henson. Released on November 7, the book includes details from Jim’s own journal, behind the scene facts, and more. You can check out a great review of the book over at Muppet Mindset. (It runs under 20 dollars on Amazon.)
2. The Muppets Christmas Carol on Blu-Ray: Can you believe it’s been 20 years since this movie first came out? It’s one of my absolute favorites, with quotes we use throughout the year (light the lamp! not the rat!). The Collector’s Edition includes the Intermission feature (like The Muppets Blu-Ray did) with some new takes of the crew singing Christmas Carols. There’s also some new commentary from Gonzo and Rizzo. Need further convincing? Josh from Mousterpiece Cinema and Ryan from Muppet Mindset both reviewed this new release recently.
3. Now That’s What I Call Disney: Honestly, I laughed when I saw this was offered on iTunes last week. But it has been awhile since someone released a compilation of classic Disney tunes in one place. Sure this is a corny NOW collection but… the gang’s all here.
4. Carols for a Cure 2012: I mentioned this compilation album here. Two Disney shows — Newsies and Peter and the Starcatcher — are featured singing carols this year. The money made from these albums go to Broadway Cares / Equity Fights Aids. The Newsies cast recorded “God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman” and the Peter cast sings “Dominick the Donkey.” Great music from talented people and a great cause.
5. It’s Kind of a Cute Story: Disney Imagineer Rolly Crump tells his fascinating stories to Mice Chat writer/Communicore Weekly host, Jeff Heimbuch. I had the opportunity to read some chapters of this piece early on in the process and Rolly’s voice is so endearing and enthusiastic… you can’t help but be interested in his story. (Plus his stories about Walt are pretty amusing.) Even when it’s not necessarily about Disney. When Jeff recorded a video opening the finished product of the book for the first time, he said it was really a book about pop culture. And that hits the nail on the head. For the hardcore Disney fan, the casual fan, or even someone interested in art in many different arenas, this book will make a great addition to anyone’s bookcase. (The book officially comes out 11/20 + the above link directs you toward the Amazon pre-order but Bamboo Forest Publishing is also offering a limited edition hardcover copy.)
Happy shopping! And do let me know if I’m missing out on any great Disney or Muppet items!