Today I realized it’s been about six years since we took a vacation during the winter. Back when we first started dating, James and I were spoiled with some lovely vacations in Aruba where we would basically spend all day swimming, reading, eating, and sipping fancy tropical drinks.
You know… back when James was still a smoker, I abused my eyebrow tweezers… we traveled to destinations where we knew the weather would be constantly balmy and we knew how to pack.
With this year’s very strange polar vortex and all the current issues air carriers are having because of it, I was suddenly reminded why traveling from New York City in the middle of winter wasn’t always my top choice when I think VACATION. Because this is what my head looks like now (without all the normal freak outs included):
- What if there is a blizzard predicted on our departure date?
- What if we can’t get back home because it’s snowing?
- What do we wear to the airport?
- Should I pack shorts and a short sleeved shirt in my carry-on?
- Will that fit in my carry-on with all my books? (True story.)
- Am I going to get another (my third) cold because I keep going from cold, warm, cold, warm temps?
- And the question I have no matter the time of year I’m traveling, will I pack RIGHT?
It’s enough to drive someone crazy! (Or crazier…?)
The truth is I’m pretty relieved the weather is going to be evening itself out this weekend (even in NYC) and we will feel like we are on a true vacation. Disney isn’t ever a beach vacation but when it’s been 8 degrees in your hometown and you barely want to walk to the subway (when it’s not that far to begin with), all you want to be able to do is escape and spend a little time outdoors without a bunch of layers covering your face.
Can you tell I’m just excited to get away and pretend it’s summer for awhile?
(Except I still have no idea what to wear to the airport. Send help!)