I have a secret for you.
I might like to read a little.
Just a little. Ya know, I only read 174 books this year.
YES, I HAVE A LIFE. Ahem.
I just like to read.
So I thought I would present you with a book gift guide for the holidays. I truly believe a book is one of the best gifts you can give someone. It’s personal! You have to really think about what a book could mean to someone. I hope there’s something fun in this group for all your shopping needs. Just a few days to go!
1) Summer of Yesterday by Gaby Triana ( Amazon | B&N | Obsessed over SoY ): A pleasant surprise in the world of young adult books. Time travel back to the magical time of River Country and a girl who is not sure she’ll ever make it back to the present.
2) John Wayne: The Life and Legend by Scott Eyman ( Amazon | B&N ): Can’t picture the Great Movie Ride without a little John Wayne. This book was on some top books of 2014 lists, and I realized… I don’t know much about John Wayne at all.
3) Hook’s Revenge by Heidi Schultz ( Amazon | B&N | My review ): First book in a new series for the kiddos about Captain Hook’s daughter and her thirst for adventure. Think The Little Princess meets Matilda and a bunch of pirates.
4) Charlie’s Glass Slippers by Holly McQueen ( Amazon | B&N ): A shoe company, a makeover, and an evil stepmom … funny and well-developed take on the Cinderella story set in London. I had a blast reading this on the beach this summer.
5) The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion ( Amazon | B&N ): I finished this book on my November trip, and it was the perfect travel companion. Narrated by a young man who depends very heavily on a particular schedule, The Rosie Project has its own little Disney surprise inside and is sweet, touching, and very funny.
7) Main Street Windows by Jeff Heimbuch ( Amazon | B&N ): Want to be the person in your trip party who lovingly shares fun facts? You’ll need this trip as your partner-in-crime for sure; no matter what park you are visiting.
8) The Untold Stories of Broadway by Jennifer Tepper ( Amazon | B&N ): Who doesn’t want to know behind-the-scenes stories about Broadway shows & their casts? Tepper recently released Book 2 of this series, and this seems like a lot of fun for any theatre fan.
9) Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers — 80th Anniversary edition — ( Amazon | B&N ): A year after the release of Saving Mr. Banks, it might be time to grab the latest edition of this classic. I loved reading about Mary Poppins when I was a kid, and I am looking forward to finally rereading it in 2015. This new cover is beautiful.
10) Slimed by Matthew Klickstein ( Amazon | B&N ): Okay, not exactly a Disney pick, but if you are a fan of pop culture and “the good old days” you can’t go wrong with picking up this tell-all about Nickelodeon of the 90s.
I’d love to hear what books you loved this year! Hope your holidays include a bit of reading!